BizTalk and SSIS both are Microsoft product and both are designed for integration. But both are used in different prospective. Below we are discussing main difference between them.
BizTalk is based on publish-subscribe model and used for EAI (Enterprise Application Integration). It is used for combining EAI and B2B Integration. It is used for process workflow, real time processing, network based progression, time-consuming commercial process. like ATM machine- whenever we swap card, we get information at that time like balance inquiry or cash withdraw.
BizTalk would be used in following scenario:
- Real time processing
- Process Integration (EAI or B2Bi)
- Process Management
- long-running and transactional business processes
- For low message size. message size should not be exceeding to 1 MB.
- BizTalk is used for complex transaction
- BizTalk is not only for simple message transaction. It has its own feature to provide as SOA kind of feeling.
- BizTalk provides the operations to be perform on one message at time or real-time processing. Because everything in BizTalk is XML so BizTalk is very slow on large set of data.
SSIS is used for batch processing. It works for ETL (Extract, Transform and Load) model with simple business transaction logic. It mostly works for data transaction between different databases and some others e.g. file.
SSIS should be use in following scenario:
- for batch processing.
- for Simple transaction e.g. transferring data from one database to another database. SSIS should not be used for complex business logic.
- SSIS is used for heavy data transactions.
- File size could be in MB or GB in transactions doesn’t matter.
- SSIS runs through schedule jobs, in real scenario when we transfer money through online, then it will not transfer to at that time. it will take time. so here we can say that Bank has some schedule jobs for transferring money which is running 2 or 3 hours interval. This is the best example to understand that how is SSIS working.
- SSIS package are used to migrate large set of data or dataset.
- custom tracking system in SSIS which require a lot of coding
- When we have large data, required less complexity and requirement of integrated systems are based on Same technology then we have to use SSIS. Usually SSIS used to migrate or integrate the non-transaction data or step up data. The delay of migration and integration possible or example Batch processing. SSIS is built for ETL process, it is not rapid integration tool.
Below is difference between BizTalk and SSIS:
|BizTalk is a licence tool and its require SQL Server for integration.||SSIS is component of SQL Server licence.|
|BizTalk is used for integration and migration of transactional data||SSIS is used for integration and migration of Non-Transactional data|
|BizTalk is rapid development tool as compare to SSIS||it is not rapid integration tool|
|When we required less data integration/migration and require complex decision making we are used BizTalk for example we have to implement complex work flow on single record.||When we have large sum of data, required less complexity and requirement of integrated systems are based on Same technology then we have to use SSIS. Usually SSIS used to migrate or integrate the non-transaction data or step up data.|
|Allowing for interaction with multiple platforms through adapters supporting multiple protocols (SQL, File, SOAP, HTTP, POP3, etc) and applications (SAP, Siebel, JDE, etc)||using a variety of protocols (SQL, FTP, SOAP, etc) allowing for transformation/cleaning/aggregation between those data sources|
|BizTalk does not support batch processing. BizTalk always plays with XML format. For handling other format of Data, BizTalk has pipeline component, which convert data format to xml vice-versa.||SSIS support Batch Processing|
|BizTalk has a lot of rich set of Adapters (SAP, MSMQ, MQ Series, FTP, File, etc.) which are may or may not depend on OLEDB Connection.||
SSIS is totally depend on OLE Database (OLEDB) connection
|BizTalk has built in Tracking System named BAM Portal, which can track in process data into BizTalk and show to Business users.||Custom tracking system in SSIS which require a lot of coding
|Business rule engine. BRE provide the condition whose value can be changed and complete follow of BizTalk application||These functionalities can be achieved on config files in SSIS.|