BAM is the optional and important part of BizTalk. Its available when we are installing BizTalk Server.
BAM is used for monitor the data and milestone of the messages in near real time, which are passing thought the BizTalk.
Its show the tracking information of messages on web Portal to Business people who don’t know about the BizTalk inside activity. So, Business people or users will know about the details which is require when the messages processing in BizTalk. It shows when messages is processed through BizTalk, has it successful passed or not. And also generate alert message if require.
BAM is rich set of Tools for monitoring. It’s available along with BizTalk Licence. BAM Portal is ASP.NET Component.
In terms of MSDN (https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa560139.aspx)
Business Activity Monitoring (BAM) is a collection of tools that allow you to manage aggregations, alerts, and profiles to monitor relevant business metrics (called Key Performance Indicators, or KPIs). It gives you end-to-end visibility into your business processes, providing accurate information about the status and results of various operations, processes, and transactions so you can address problem areas and resolve issues within your business.
Benefits of BAM
- BAM portal- Here user can track all the details for messages, aggregate data and generate alert.
- BAM as a reporting solution provides a familiar environment to business users by taking advantage of Office and Sharepoint
- Unlike application development, BizTalk development often does not have anything tangible which can be shown to a client. BAM will provide them information about their business processes and can help them to see the benefits of the solution
- BAM can be implemented in easy way with some small coding if we write BAM programatically and with no code in case of Tracking Profile Editor
- BAM is a built-in feature of BizTalk which a company who invests in BizTalk will already have made
- In Most of the Project development, BAM is always chosen as second phase. In Existing BizTalk Project, BAM will add as an additional layer to the solution. You would simply deploy the BAM artifacts to the existing BizTalk group
For More details of BAM API click here
For configuration and installation of BAM click here.
For implementation of BAM activity click here